Yellow Ribbon ProgramIn gratitude for your service to our nation, every year since 2011-12 and again for 2018-19, UIW is a Yellow Ribbon School for the eligible 100% Post 9-11 students and may fund the tuition and fee expenses that exceed the VA national annual maximum allotted to private institutions.
What is Yellow Ribbon?
The Yellow Ribbon Program allows private schools to enter into an agreement with the VA to fund the tuition and fee costs that exceeds the yearly national cap of $23.671.94 for students enrolled in private institutions (after August 1, 2018). The Yellow Ribbon Program is utilized in conjunction with student's Post 9-11 GI Bill and funds are paid directly to the school when the enrollment certification is processed. UIW will match the 50% VA contribution and fund 50% of the remaining unmet tuition & fee charges for all eligible students.
- Must be using Chapter 33 Post 9-11 Benefits at 100% eligibility
- Must have remaining time/months of benefits. Yellow Ribbon does NOT cover tuition/fees if benefits are exhausted/expired.
- Registered for Spring/Summer and total yearly tuition cost
- NOT Active Duty personnel or spouse of active duty sponsor
Go to MyWord under Student Information on the Launchpad and complete the Yellow Ribbon Application. A current COE (< 6months), eBenefits enrollment page, or Vets.gov Statement of Benefits Statement must be uploaded along with the application. You will receive an e-mail confirmation that we received your application. You will be contacted by e-mail within 10 business days information you of your Yellow Ribbon Application approval. See Directions.
**Incomplete applications will NOT be accepted
- Awards are made to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The amount each student will receive from UIW will vary according to the cost of their degree program and any tuition specific scholarships or grant they may have been awarded. The Yellow Ribbon Program award cannot be combined with other University of the Incarnate Word institutional awards to result in a surplus for the student.
- Yellow Ribbon contributions will not be adjusted after the last day to drop classes without a W assigned. Any costs accrued due to adding or dropping classes after that date each semester will be the responsibility of the student.
- Once UIW receives the Yellow Ribbon funding from VA and has been posted to the student’s account, the UIW Office of Financial Assistance will add the matching amount. Please be aware, the standard processing time for the VA is 4-6 weeks.
- Once selected for the Yellow Ribbon Program at UIW, students will be funded each year they are in their current program of study as long as UIW continues and is approved to renew its agreement with the VA each academic year. UIW has the right to reduce awards or discontinue the program at the end of each academic year.
For additional information about the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, please see the
GI Bill website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yellow_ribbon.asp