Yellow Ribbon Program
In gratitude for your service to our nation, every year since 2011-12 and again for 2017-18, UIW is a Yellow Ribbon School for the eligible 100% Post 9-11 students and may fund the tuition and fee expenses that exceed the VA national annual maximum allotted to private institutions.
The Yellow Ribbon Program allows private schools to enter into an agreement with the VA to fund the tuition and fee costs that exceeds the yearly national cap for students enrolled in private institutions (after August 1, 2016). The Yellow Ribbon Program is utilized in conjunction with student's Post 9-11 GI Bill and funds are paid directly to the school when the enrollment certification is processed. UIW will match the 50% VA contribution and fund 50% of the remaining unmet tuition & fee charges for all eligible students.
You may be eligible if:
- You served an aggregate period of active duty after September 10, 2001, of at least 36 months
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on a veteran’s service under the eligibility criteria listed above
Criteria to apply at UIW
- Eligible for the Ch33 Post 9/11 GI Bill education benefits at the 100% level with remaining entitlement
- Maintain good academic standing at UIW
- Be admitted as a degree-seeking student with net tuition and fee charges above the VA's annual maximum rate as posted at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yellow_ribbon.asp
- The VA has set the 2016-17 national cap for Post 9/11 private school students at a maximum of $21,970.46. UIW students will not need to request the VA Yellow Ribbon until the Spring/Summer 2017 semesters.
How to apply:
Provide a current Post 9-11 award letter OR eBenefits enrollment page
Sign up at https://www.ebenefits.va.gov or contact VA at 1-888-442-4551
Complete the 2016-2017 UIW VA Yellow Ribbon Program Application
- Awards are made to qualified applicants on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The amount each student will receive from UIW will vary according to the cost of their degree program and any tuition specific scholarships or grant they may have been awarded. The Yellow Ribbon Program award cannot be combined with other University of the Incarnate Word institutional awards to result in a surplus for the student.
- Yellow Ribbon contributions will not be adjusted after the last day to drop classes without a W assigned. Any costs accrued due to adding or dropping classes after that date each semester will be the responsibility of the student.
- Once UIW receives the Yellow Ribbon funding from VA and has been posted to the student’s account, the UIW Office of Financial Assistance will add the matching amount. Please be aware, the standard processing time for the VA is 4-6 weeks.
- Once selected for the Yellow Ribbon Program at UIW, students will be funded each year they are in their current program of study as long as UIW continues and is approved to renew its agreement with the VA each academic year. UIW has the right to reduce awards or discontinue the program at the end of each academic year.
For additional information about the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Yellow Ribbon Program, please see the
GI Bill website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/yellow_ribbon.asp