FAQs Frequently Asked Questions
Description of Benefits
With the legislative changes enacted in August 2011 and in gratitude for your service to our nation, every year since 2011-12 and again for 2015-16, UIW is a Yellow Ribbon School for the eligible 100% Post 9-11 students and may fund the tuition and fee expenses that exceed the VA national annual maximum allotted to private institutions.
Applicable to individuals:
- with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001
- or discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
- Received an honorable discharge
- Benefits may be transferred by active duty service member to spouse or dependents
- Becomes effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.
- On October 1, 2011, VA will begin paying benefits to members of the Army National Guard and Air National Guard for qualifying service under title 32.
- Restoring GI Bill Fairness Act of 2011 To qualify for the increased payment, students must have been enrolled in UIW before January 4, 2011 and in a program for which the combined amount of tuition and fees for full-time attendance during the 2010-2011 academic year exceeded $17,500. Students may be “grandfathered” for tuition and fees until August 1, 2014, as long as continuously enrolled at UIW.
This program will pay the eligible individuals:
- Generally entitled to 36 months of educational assistance.
- Tuition & fees directly to the school not to exceed the national maximum of yearly (Aug 1 - Jul 31) funding set by VA for those enrolled in a private school
- A monthly housing allowance, for the eligible students attending more than 1/2 time rate, based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.
- UIW is located at zip code 78209
- Effective October 1, 2011. Individuals only enrolled in distance learning courses will be eligible for a monthly housing allowance equal to 50% of the national average of all Basic Allowances for Housing.
- An annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. Individuals eligible at the 100% benefit level may receive $41.67 for each credit hour certified up to 24 credit hours each academic year. The books and supplies stipend will be paid in a lump sum amount for each term or semester certified.
Additional VA Educational Benefits:
Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB) Chapter 30
Vocational Rehabilitation Chapter 31
Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) Chapter 32
Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA) Chapter 35
Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) Chapter 1607
Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves Chapter 1606
Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
Contact the VA Regional Office:
Monthly Verification of Attendance 1-877-823-2378
Direct Deposit 1-877-838-2778
Other VA Benefits 1-800-827-1000