Description of Benefits
With the legislative changes enacted in August 2011 and in gratitude for your service to our nation, in 2011-12, 2012-13, and again for 2013-14, UIW is a Yellow Ribbon School for the eligible 100% Post 9-11 students and may fund the tuition and fee expenses that exceed the VA national annual maximum allotted to private institutions. See the letter from the director of the Education Service Department of Veterans Affairs. Page 1 Page 2
Applicable to individuals:
- with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001
- or discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
- Received an honorable discharge
- Benefits may be transferred by active duty service member to spouse or dependents
- Becomes effective for training on or after August 1, 2009.
- On October 1, 2011, VA will begin paying benefits to members of the Army National Guard and Air National Guard for qualifying service under title 32.
- Restoring GI Bill Fairness Act of 2011 To qualify for the increased payment, students must have been enrolled in UIW before January 4, 2011 and in a program for which the combined amount of tuition and fees for full-time attendance during the 2010-2011 academic year exceeded $17,500. Students may be “grandfathered” for tuition and fees until August 1, 2014, as long as continuously enrolled at UIW.
This program will pay the eligible individuals:
- Generally entitled to 36 months of educational assistance.
- Tuition & fees directly to the school not to exceed the national maximum of yearly (Aug 1 - Jul 31) funding set by VA for those enrolled in a private school
- A monthly housing allowance, for the eligible students attending more than 1/2 time rate, based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school.
- UIW is located at zip code 78209
- Effective October 1, 2011. Individuals only enrolled in distance learning courses will be eligible for a monthly housing allowance equal to 50% of the national average of all Basic Allowances for Housing.
- An annual books & supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. Individuals eligible at the 100% benefit level may receive $41.67 for each credit hour certified up to 24 credit hours each academic year. The books and supplies stipend will be paid in a lump sum amount for each term or semester certified.
Additional VA Educational Benefits:
Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB) Chapter 30
Vocational Rehabilitation Chapter 31
Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP) Chapter 32
Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA) Chapter 35
Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP) Chapter 1607
Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserves Chapter 1606
Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship
Contact the VA Regional Office:
Monthly Verification of Attendance 1-877-823-2378
Direct Deposit 1-877-838-2778
Other VA Benefits 1-800-827-1000